메뉴 건너뛰기

본문시작

♦ History

   Ulleungdo was called as Mureung, Ureung or Usanguk.

   As dolmens, patternless earthenwares and grinding stones assumed to be made in Bronze Ware Age(BC 1000 - BC 300) or in the Iron Age(BC 300 - AD 1) have been discovered in Ulleungdo, it is safely said that people began living in Ulleungdo from those times.

   There is a view that an island is Ulleungdo which was referred to in the document related to King of Dongcheon in Goguryeo history.

   The first record found in Korean documentation is in the year 513 of Silla Jijeungmaripgan and there is a documentation showing that the sovereign of Ha(a)seula (Gangreung), Yisabu, conquered and subjugated Usanguk.

♦ Historical Development

  • 512 Yisabu, a Silla general, subjugated Usanguk.
  • 930 King Taejo of Goryeo graced people of Ureungdo with a title.
  • 1379 Japanese invaders forced people in Mureungdo to return to the mainland in the year 15 of King Woo.
  • 1479 Kim In Woo was dispatched to forced residents to return to mainland in the year 17 of King Taejong.
  • 1693 Diplomatic dispute occurred by the conflict between An Yong Bok and Japanese fishers in Ulleungdo(An Yong Bok's first visit to Japan).
  • 1694 Jang Han Sang, Samcheok Cheomsa, protected Ulleungdo in the year 20 of King Sukjong.
  • 1696 In the year 22 of King Sukjong, An Yong Bok secondly visited Japan and negotiated with a sovereign of Baekgiju, Japan and   Ulleungdo was recognized as a land of joseon.
  • 1882 In the year 19 of King Gojong, Lee Gyu Won distributed the declaration of exploitation, nominating Jeon Seok Gyu for the mission head.
  • 1883 54 settlers from 16 families came to the island.
  • 1900 In October, renamed as Uldongun and incorporated as 27th county of Gangwondo(Rule 41).
  • 1906 In the year 10 of King Gwang Mu, Renamed from Uldogun to Ulleunggun, incorporated to Gyeongsangnamdo.
  • 1914 Transferred from Gyeongsangnamdo to Gyeongsandbukdo.
  • 1949 Returned to Ulleunggun after government establishment (Gyeong Sang Buk Do Ulleunggun).
  • 1979 Nammyeon was promoted to Ulleungeup, establishing the present 1 Eup and 2 Myeons.
  • 2000 Dokdori is newly established.